Process for Obtaining a Privilege License
View the Process Flow Chart (PDF) for the procedure for obtaining a Business License.
- Complete an Application for Business License (PDF).
- Businesses that intend to serve food must obtain a food permit from the Houston County Health Department. For more information about obtaining a food permit from the Houston County Health Department, call (334) 678-2815.
- If alcoholic beverages are intended to be served, the applicant must have the Board of Commissioners approval. Applications are initiated with the Alcoholic Beverage Control (ABC) Board, telephone (334) 792-9155, and apply to the sale of alcoholic beverages both on and off-premise. The application is then filed in the City Clerk's Office, Room 213 of the Roy Driggers Municipal Building (Civic Center), telephone (334) 615-3160.
- Businesses in the building or construction industry, in addition to obtaining a City of Dothan Business License, must also obtain construction permits from the Building Inspection Department. For more information concerning construction permits, call (334) 615-4450.
- Please note that in each county or municipality you are conducting business in Alabama, you are subject to licensing requirements for each jurisdiction; therefore, you may need to obtain a business license from Houston County. You can contact them at 334-677-4786.
If you have any questions or need more information, please contact the Business License Division:
Business License Division
P. O. Box 2128
Dothan, AL 36302
Phone: (334) 615-3166